Raison d'etre

I like recreating things from the Middle Ages, and I'd like to get better at it. My intention for this blog is to use it kind of like an engineer's journal, to scribble down what I'm working on, and what I've learned. It might become a place to share pictures and research.
Right now I have a regular armouring session on Thursday nights with anyone invited. The last session was the week before Thanksgiving, and Ty and I pounded out some spaulders for him. The lames still need work, and all the peices need clean up and heat treating before being strapped. Over the long weekend I basically finished off an example spaulder in 4130 since several people are interested in making some. It's just missing the strap around the arm.
My other projects are mostly musical instruments. I've built a hurdy gurdy, a rebec, and several double reed instruments. They all play, and are recognizable for what they're supposed to be, but they're not particularly good yet. The hurdy gurdy is the only one I've played in front of people. Its keys stick, and it's difficult to tune because the tuning pegs are, well, kind of lame.
I also do some brewing, though I haven't tackled a medieval recipe for quite a while.

Comments

Popular Posts