Dying and articulation

I dyed the straps for my greaves with the ox blood dye I got from Tandy. This time I didn't soak the leather, and the resulting color was a beautiful rich, quite dark red; the kind of red you'd expect to find on the leather chairs in a haughty English smoking lounge, which was exactly what I wanted. When I died the belts I was working on earlier I'd soaked them in water first. Using the same dye, and the same leather they turned fuscia; the kind of red you'd expect on the thong of the most flamboyant guy in a gay Mardi Gras parade. It's a beautiful red for, well thongs and stuff, but not so much for a belt I'd be really into wearing. It's a shame too, because the water seemed to help the dye go on very evenly.

I've been tinkering with the patterns for my Black Prince arm harness now for a couple weeks. I've gone through eight revisions of the lames alone. Sometimes the articulation works out great, and sometimes it's an abysmal failure. If I just had to get it to work out once for me it would be no big deal, but getting this to be a fool proof design is proving to be tough. I did suceed in reducing the scissoring that the earlier designs had. The lame seems a touch on the long side still, and I think I'm dishing the lames too deeply, which is hurting my extension and leading to gapping. When it works though, I'm getting almost 90 degrees of bend from each lame.


Popular Posts