Little forge blurb for armour archive folks

I built my forge specifically for heat treating breast plates and cuisses. A couple of entries with good forge pictures. And here.
Having a high pressure regulator will let you heat treat things faster, help you do hot work and black smithing, and if your design is efficient enough you can even do forge welds. A lot of the key to your success is in having a well insulated forge body. I use Kaowool, which is like an asbestos insulation I bought on Ebay, which is then painted with a slurry of ITC100 and Satanite- those last two are refractory ceramics which I bought from a knife making supply outfit. The forge body just holds the insulation together so its form doesn't matter a whole lot, which is why mine looks like a bunch of inbred children built it.

Comments

Popular Posts