7 lames down on right

Two more sessions of about a half hour each got me to this point:



I'm concerned about a few things with these right now. The shape is coming together OK, but it's going to take a fair amount of work to get the view from beneath to more closely match the outline of the shoe. The length is a bit longer than the left sabaton was at this point. The bottom edges aren't all as smooth as I'd like. There are some lames, particularly #7 which are off by about 1/4 inch. I'm not sure if I'll have enough metal to fix that, so I might have to cut a new lame. This may be due to the center line not being marked quite right. I used my compass and some fancy medieval geometry to find the center lines, but had to draw some of the arcs small because I didn't have a lot of space on the pattern folder, and the final rivet holes didn't necessarily match where I placed them in the steel. So things are a bit wonky. Maybe leaving the lames long and trimming them really is a faster way to build these things.

I'd love to be able to crank out sabatons. It would be fantastic to have a real impact on how folks armour themselves, and sabatons are an area which people sorely neglect in part because it's just such a pain to find good sabatons. Then when you do, are they going to be too heavy? High maintenance? These should address those issues. Of course they won't be cheap (particularly for optional armour) and they might not fit over your foot wear....

I rode 5 miles, did about 70 crunches, 50 push ups and 200 calf presses since I last wrote.

Comments

Popular Posts